Thursday, July 8, 2010

Think you need all the answers?

I was thinking how we often feel “if I just had all the answers.” As human beings we think we are striving for perfection. We somehow have this misconception perfection and happiness go together.

I’ll be happy when I find my perfect mate.
I’ll be happy when I uncover my true purpose in life.
I’ll be happy when I make a million dollars.
I’ll be happy when I lose 30 pounds.
I’ll be happy when…- fill in the blank-.


If you are constantly giving your happiness specific criteria, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Once you find, uncover, make, lose, or whatever it is you’re goal is, you will inevitably have a sense of “now what?”

You have got to learn to just be happy now. This moment, right now is truly all that matters. The past if over and done, the future has no guarantees, so if you aren’t happy, right now, in this moment, you are missing out on the greatest joy of life. From a spiritual perspective, you are perfect in Spirit, but, you are here to experience life and all that goes along with it.

Yes, you want to have goals and desires…the key is to learn to be happy during the process of fulfilling them. Once you reach a goal or obtain a desire, you are going to replace with another. Life is all about creating, so you will always be moving toward “something.” Think about it- even when you are totally content with your life, you still think of things you want, such as a vacation, a new car, something new to add to your experience.

So, quit being hard on yourself. Stop feeling guilty you haven’t reached a specific goal or desire and give yourself a break. I have always said the day I stop learning it the day I didn’t wake up. Be happy you are constantly learning because of this you continue to have desires. Realize you don’t have to be perfect to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment