Friday, December 18, 2009

What's your mindset - are you playing to win?

I was watching the Colts – Jaguars game last night and found myself thinking about the strategy that was being used during the game. Now, I haven’t been a football fan for long mind you, I only starting enjoying watching it a few years ago. When working in the corporate world, I noticed men tend to use sports analogies a lot in business… and it does drive women crazy at times. That being said, male or female alike I think you’ll get something from the point I’m going to make.

In case you don’t know me, I lived most of my life in New Orleans and moved to Indianapolis in 2008. So, here I sit with my past team the Saints at 13-0 and my new team the Colts 14-0.

What I’ve come to recognize is both of these teams are playing to win… not just “not to lose” but playing to win.

Is there a difference? You betcha.’

If you are playing not to lose, you are focused on not losing, right? So, you are constantly holding the thought you could lose. If you are playing to win, the only thing you hold your attention on is the solution…how to win.

There is a huge difference in mindset between the two.

In your life and in your business you need to show up every day ready to win. Always be looking for the solution, never focus on the problem. What you focus on you give energy to, so make certain you don’t just think about how “not to lose” because if you do, losing will always be an option.

Remember, winning in business means finding the best solutions to your customer’s pain or problem. If you didn’t show up to win, you aren’t giving them the best you have to offer.

Become aware of which mindset you are coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment